The foundation of the Akhila Health Program is based on the Vedantic understanding that we are not just the physical body but are a composite of five layers – Body, Breath, Mind, Intellect and Spirit. We believe that by increasing understanding and awareness of all five layers one comes to ‘Know’ oneself which is essential in order to ‘Heal’ oneself.
The five layers or ‘sheaths’ that cover the indwelling soul (Atman) are known as the kosas. They are:
- Food sheath (Annamaya kosa)
- Vital Air sheath (Pranamaya kosa)
- Mental sheath (Manomaya kosa)
- Intellectual sheath (Vignanamaya kosa)
- Bliss sheath (Anandamaya kosa)
The Akhila Health program explores each of these layers in a formulated, step-by-step process that engages participants to take an active role in their healing journey. We start with the physical body and the food sheath and move into the understanding and healing practices of the subtle layers. We acknowledge contributions from modern medicine and when possible identify unity of the two perspectives. For example, epigenetic studies have shown how stress affects health by making the person more susceptible to disease. On the other hand, stress management techniques and effective coping mechanisms have a positive effect on long-term health and well-being.
The main objectives of our program are to:
- Empower participants to take ownership of a healthy life (inner and outer)
- Teach the importance of self-care
- Provide a safe, loving atmosphere for self-assessment and reflection
- Offer simple, yet powerful tools and techniques that can reduce stress levels and promote good health, clarity and peace of mind
After conducting needs assessment, we employ some or all of the philosophies, tools and techniques such as the following to promote health and wellness:
If your organization is interested in partnering with us, please contact us for more information about how we can work together.